Friday, February 13, 2009

Pilar




"Pilar" by Maggie Metcalf

I don't have a dog and consider myself more of a cat person. My dear friend Leslie Graham. is a guide dog raiser and a renaissance sort of person in that she can do a lot of things well. Photography is one of those talents. I admired this photo of hers on which the painting is based. It was also featured in a calendar. She graciously gave me permission to use it. She is also the source of a number of guide dog paintings I have done. The volunteers raise puppies who ultimately graduate and are matched to a visually impaired person. Pilar was in training, hence the green vest. She seems to be in an odd position but these animals are trained to be in specific positions and locations. It was really quite fun to paint her golden fur in the bright sun, the shadows and her expressive eyes.

No comments: